Seattle with the family

It’s been a week since I visited Seattle and I realize I still haven’t posted a summary of my trip. Sorry about that. Here it goes.

I left work a little early (4:00 p.m.) to fight traffic to JFK. I’m glad I did, for I arrived less than 45 minutes before my flight’s scheduled departure at 7:15. Once on the plane, I was able to relax for it was a strait shot to Seattle. I arrived Friday evening around 10 p.m. and was at the hotel by 11.

On Saturday morning, the four of us (Cameron, Mom & Dad) started off our day with a walk to the Space Needle. We didn’t go up the Needle until lunch time for we were to distracted and impressed with Seattle’s new Experience Music Project museum, which sits at the base of the Needle.

The EMP museum is a highly interactive music museum that was designed by world-renowned architect Frank Gehry. The museum explores rock ‘n’ roll, its roots in jazz, soul, gospel, country and the blues, as well as rock music’s influence on hip-hop, punk and what not. It features sound studios where Cameron and I could play guitar, keyboard and drums. Best of all, every visitor is given headphones and a scanner that you can use to scan any display for more information or to hear a few tunes from the featured artist. This was a great museum, for we sent most of the day there.

Around lunch, we took a break from the EMP’s information overload and headed up the Space Needle. Built for the 1962 World’s Fair, the 605 foot tower offers great views of downtown, the harbor, and nearby lakes. It also has a revolving restaurant, which we didn’t patron.

After the Needle, Cameron and I headed back to the EMP to learn more about Hendrix, Clapton, Nirvana, and more. But at 5 p.m., the four of us met back up for the traditional Pearce-vacation IMAX movie. We went to see James Cameron’s Ghost of the Abyss, a 3D film that explores the wreck of the Titanic. One of the best 3D films IMAX has made yet.

After the movie, the four of us hopped on Seattle’s Monorail for a little ride downtown. Also built for the 1962 World’s Fair, this monorail has only two stops; but it still runs great.

We then walked down to the docks to find a nice place to eat. Dinner was at one of those restaurants that requires it’s patrons to wear bibs. The waiter dumped all of the shell fish right on the table, requiring us to crack open the shells ourselves. After dinner, Cameron and I headed out on the town. Visited several fun bars and probably had a little too much fun to begin the next day at 9:00 a.m.

That was day one, Saturday.

For Cameron and me, Sunday morning came too soon. But we made it up and began the hike back down to the docks. After about an hour wait, we boarded a boat for a tour of the harbor. The weather was great, making the two hour trip very enjoyable. We then rode a trolley to the main market, where we witnessed street performers, vendors tossing fresh fish, lots of produce, and some crafts. After lunch, we did another IMAX. By that time, Cameron had to head to the airport for his flight.

Mom stayed in the market while dad and I went to see The Hulk (not so good). A few hours later, I was at the airport boarding my redeye back to JFK.

It was a lot for one weekend, but it was worth it. I was hurting Monday morning as I struggled to stay awake at work after having only a few hours of sleep on the plane. I should be used to it by now, for I’ll be doing it again in a month when we head to Las Vegas for the weekend.